Calendar of events
- 16. - 18. Oktober 2014, Akademia Pomorska, Słupsk, Polen, International Eberhard-Preußner-/ Leo-Kestenberg-Conference
- 20. - 21. Februar 2014, Potsdam University, conference of music educators at academic schools (KMPWH)
main focus on Leo Kestenberg's ideas on the academic education of music teachers
29. January 2014, 22.05 h, Deutschlandfunk:
Broadcast of excerpts from lecture recital No. 110 (20. November 2013, Konzerthaus Berlin)
Deported: Leo Kestenberg in Prague and Tel Aviv
musica reanimata on broadcast
- 26.- 28. April 2013, congress of the association of german music schools (VDM), Bamberg.
Ulrich Mahlert on Leo Kestenberg's ideas on the development of music schools:
- 19. – 22. September 2012, Weimar, first federal congress of music education (Erster Bundeskongress Musikunterricht)
The Music Educator's Association (VDS) aims to appraise Kestenberg's merits on music education adequately in view of the situation 50 years after his death. The KESTENBERG SOCIETY contributes two lectures and a round table discussion to the 1. Federal Congress of Music Education. Watch some video documentaries
- 15. – 20. Juli 2012, Thessaloniki, in the framing of the 30th World Conference of the ISME: International Symposium "Visions in Music Education. Leo Kestenberg's international contribution to music, education, and politics"
Wilfried Gruhn (Germany) convenor, Marie McCarthy (USA), Claudia Gluchankof and Sarit Tauber (Israel), discussants.
Kestenberg was elected to become the first Honorary President of ISME in 1953.
May 5, 2012, Rathaus Schöneberg, Berlin, General Assembly.
- June 9, 2010: Leo Kestenberg Evening, Goethe-Institut Jerusalem, lecturer Ann-Kathrin Seidel
- June, 20, 2009, inaugural meeting of the International Leo Kestenberg Society. Rathaus Schöneberg (town hall Schöneberg), Berlin
- Mai 18, 2009, Freiburg University, Presentation of the first volume of Leo Kestenberg´s collected writings by the Studium Generale of the Albert-Ludwigs-Universität Freiburg and the Society for Christian-Jewish Collaboration Freiburg together with the Rombach edition house and an introduction by the editor, Prof. emer. Dr. Wilfried Gruhn
- April 23, 2009, UdK Berlin, Presentation of the book: "Leo Kestenberg. Musikpädagoge und Musikpolitiker in Berlin, Prag und Tel Aviv"
Presentation of the volume with the contributions of the Kestenberg Symposium 2005, ed. by Susanne Fontaine, Ulrich Mahlert, Dietmar Schenk und Theda Weber-Lucks, with musical framing by Thomas Menrath (piano)
- October 24, 2008, 2 p.m.: first public concert of the "German-Israeli Strings" as part of the German-Israeli exchange week
- October 25, 2008, 7 p.m.: second public concert of the "German-Israeli Strings" as part of the German-Israeli exchange week. Venue: Rathaus Friedenau,
- October 20-27, 2008
First German-Israeli Exchange Week for young orchestra pupils in Berlin
During the third week in October, the string ensemble of the Givatayim Conservatory, Tel Aviv visited the Leo Kestenberg Music School in Berlin. Both institutions share a strong relation to the ideas and work of Leo Kestenberg. The Leo Kestenberg Music School in Berlin was named for him in 2000, to pay tribute to the man who actually created the model for today's music schools. The Givatayim Conservatory owes its existence to Kestenberg's inspiring influence. Its founders were pupils at the Music Teachers' Seminar in Tel Aviv, which Kestenberg founded and directed.
In rehearsals lasting several hours each day, teachers and orchestra pupils from both music schools worked on a concert program that they presented only a brief 5 to 6 days later - twice! The young "German-Israeli Strings", whose members range from 12 to 20 years old, were conducted by Alexander Ramm (Berlin) and Barak Tal (Givatayim/Tel Aviv).
- 2008, 25.4.-8.6. For the first time the Neue Nationalgalerie (New National Galery) in Berlin showed the portrait "Leo Kestenberg" (1926/27) by Oskar Kokoschka
The oil painting was purchased by the museum development association Freunde der Nationalgalerie for the collection of the Nationalgalerie.
- 2008 Seminar: Maria Leo, bedeutende Musikpädagogin der Kestenberg-Ära, und die Aktualität der Tonika-Do-Methode
Invited lecturers: Christine Rhode-Jüchtern, Christhard Zimpel and Martin Losert.
- 2006 June 17th, memorial event: A Stumbling Block for Maria Leo
- 2005 December 19th. "Leo Kestenberg" An Evening of Music: a broadcast by Volker Michael. Deutschlandradio Kultur
With recorded excerpts from the concert "Hommage à Busoni" (Dec. 2, 2005) and the panel discussion with contemporary witnesses (Dec. 4, 2005). Both took place under the auspices of the Berlin Kestenberg Symposium 2005.
- 2005 December 4th, Panel discussion round with the contemporary witnesses Joseph Tal, Ricci Horenstein, Judith Cohen, Rahel Epstein and Jehuda Bacon. Host: Theda Weber-Lucks. Location: The Berlin University of the Arts
- 2005 December 2nd, "Hommage à Busoni" concert
- 2005 December 1st, opening of the mobile exhibition "Leo Kestenberg (1882-1962). The Unity of Artistic and Social Responsibility - a Vision?", conceived by Andreas Eschen.
- 2005 December 1st-4th, Leo Kestenberg Symposium at the Berlin University of the Arts